Apprenticeships - General Business
Going to university and pursuing a degree is not the only option available to bright students. With the significant cost of a degree combined with its potential devaluation, you may want at least to consider your options. There are a number of firms offering very attractive School Leaver Programmes. These are well paid and you may find run parallel to many graduate schemes. They have the attraction of being less competitive at A level entry, therefore gaining you entry into an organisation that you may struggle to secure as a graduate, when the competition is fiercer. You will also be debt free. These schemes are becoming increasingly popular with employers.
Information on: WRITING YOUR CV AND COVERING LETTER
Information on: HOW TO EXCEL IN INTERVIEWS
Information on: PREPARATION FOR ONLINE APTITUDE TESTS
Business: EDF Energy Commercial & Business Apprenticeship
EDF Energy offer a number of apprenticeships which include both commercial and business programmes.
Hinkley Point C (HPC) will be the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK. Construction and all supporting activities will be carried out by a large and diverse supply chain overseen by a project team. The Commercial function within the HPC Project Team is responsible for the placement and management of all of the contracts required to construct and commission the plant. This includes pre-contract procurement activities; managing tendering processes; contract negotiations and subsequent post contract commercial management.
The HPC Commercial Apprenticeship Programme will instil all the qualities and skills required to kick-start your career as a commercial professional with EDF Energy and the HPC project. You will spend 5 years learning from experts as part of the apprenticeship and, as well as getting valuable real world experience, you will study for a university level qualification. You can expect on-the-job training, classroom learning and the kind of practical experience you simply can’t get on a university campus.
During the apprenticeship you’ll also be working towards attaining membership of a professional body, which demonstrates to the supply chain and peers that you work to the highest professional and ethical standards. With support you’ll study for a Construction and the Built Environment HND at Bridgwater College and then a Construction and Quantity Surveying Degree at University of the West of England (UWE).
At the end of the apprenticeship you will move into a permanent role in the Commercial team with responsibility for managing your own portfolio of contracts.
During the apprenticeship you will work in the central Bristol office, with opportunities to work at other EDF Energy NNB locations and with supply chain partners.
Block and day release training will be at Bridgwater College (years 1 and 2) and the University West of England (years 3-5).
You will require:
- A National Certificate/Diploma in a business related programme with a merit profile, or
- A National Certificate/Diploma in a construction/engineering discipline with a merit profile, or
- A Levels, equivalent to 120 UCAS points
- Applicants will usually also require at least 4 GCSE passes (at grade C or above), including Maths and English or their Level 2 equivalents
This training programme designed to power your career within the energy industry. Upon completion of the scheme you will have gained valuable experience within the UK’s leading generator and supplier of low carbon energy. It is 24 to 36 months in duration, and combines formal training provided by external education providers and EDF Energy, with hands-on experience gained from your day to day role. Consisting of a number of rotations between three and six months long, the scheme is designed to give an insight into different parts of the Central Support functions.
Opportunities often exist within the Central Technical Organisation in Nuclear Generation based in Barnwood, Gloucester. Business Apprenticeships focus on the commercial and non-technical aspects of support to operational sites. You will have the opportunity to develop commercial skills and have the opportunity to travel to various power stations throughout the UK. This may also include a 12 week attachment to a power station where you’ll get first-hand experience of life at an operational site.
- At least three A-Levels (or equivalent) at grade C or above
- Genuine interest in nuclear energy
- Desire to learn and to develop your skills
Business: Nomura HR, Operations and Real Estate/Services Apprenticeships.
Nomura provides a number of apprenticeships. These include one in Human Respurces, a 2nd in Operations and another in Real Estatae and Services.
Human Resources. They currently offer HR apprentices in the following areas:
HR Advisor - The HR Advisory teams cover Nomura’s three core divisions: Global Markets, Investment Banking and Corporate Infrastructure. This role involves working in conjunction with HR Advisors to deliver solutions, advising managers on handling performance, absence, and other concerns, and supporting the Year-End Compensation process, amongst other projects.
HR Analyst Centre - The HR Analyst Team is responsible for managing the workflow of employee lifecycle activities between the strategic HR Advisor teams and the HR administrator team. The role requires interaction with HR colleagues and clients across the whole company and at all levels. The HR Analyst Team also supports the Graduate Recruitment and Program Teams with the regular in-take of Graduates and Interns.
Learning and Development – This role sits within the EMEA Talent Team, directly supporting the Leadership & Development team. This role plays a critical part in ensuring that all Leadership & Development activities are executed to the highest standard. Key capabilities in this role are interpersonal skills, a drive for efficiency and effectiveness in execution, and a continuous improvement mind-set.
Real Estate and Services. The role is based within the Health, Safety & Environmental team, providing support and assistance in delivering environmental services across the Nomura EMEA region. As an apprentice in this team you will be involved in:
- Assisting with maintaining the company environmental management system
- Supporting with the coordination of best practice meetings and workshops
- Monitoring environmental legislative changes and providing briefings and actions
- Liaising with environmental staff at other company locations (eg Tokyo)
- Assisting with the daily operations of the Real Estate & Services team
Operations: As an Operations Apprentice you will work to support the business and be involved in:
- Processing, controlling, confirming and settling transactions
- Researching and troubleshooting problems such as resolving booking issues and cash breaks
- Documenting process flows and creating procedure manuals for the functions performed
- Reviewing current processes and procedures for improvements, reduce risks and increase controls
- Assisting with client service initiativesBuilding successful relationships with colleagues in Mumbai
Business: Unilever Higher Apprenticeships
Unilever offer a number of higher apprenticeships. Roles are offered in Business & Technology, R&D and Supply Chain & Engineering. If you look in your fridge, or on the bathroom shelf, you’re bound to see one of Unilever's well-known brands. They create, market and distribute the products that people choose to feed their families and keep themselves and their homes clean and fresh. Brands such as Ben & Jerrys, Persil, Cif and Dove belong to Unilever.
- At least five GCSE A-C grades (or equivalent) including English, Maths and ideally ICT
- At least two A Levels (or equivalent)
Locations include London, Kingston, Leatherhead or Port Sunlight.
Information Services: Experian Higher Apprenticeship in Business Administration
Experian is a leading global information services company, providing data and analytical tools to clients around the world. The Group helps businesses to manage credit risk, prevent fraud target marketing offers and automate decision making. Experian offer an Apprenticeship in Business Administration in their UK&I in Nottingham. You will be rotated around the business into call centre and support based roles. You could be placed in one of these teams:
- Customer Support: Administration
- Customer Support: Phone support
- Verifier Teams
- Production Support
On joining the programme you are offered a comprehensive induction with full training for your first role before starting your apprenticeship – with paid study release to attend college classes.
As a minimum you need CCC at A Level or equivalent, plus GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above. You also need excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills, strong IT skills, confidence in talking to customers, high acheiving and well organised.
Project Management: Atos Higher Level Apprenticeship
Atos serves a global client base, and provides Consulting & Systems Integration services, Managed Services, Cloud operations, Big Data & Cyber-security solutions. They offer a higher level apprenticeship in Project Management. 2 A levels are required and a strong inteest in IT.
During this 18-24 months programme, you'll gain exposure to and support the management of key projects, from start to finish. You’ll also enjoy the guidance and training you need to quickly develop into a confident and capable professional – ready to plan, analyse and execute successfully.
They teach and assess these skills to an industry standard, while ensuring you're able to apply them on the job:
- business case
- Project Scope
- Planning & Analysis
- Finance, risk and resource management
- stakeholder communications
The scheme offers a blend of learning and putting your skills to the test -– so you’ll spend time both training, and on the job, cementing your new skills to memory.
Road Space Design & Management: Transport For London School Leaver Programme
Transport for London are responsible for a massive and diverse transport network including tubes, buses, cabs, riverboats, cable cars, coaches, trains, trams and push bikes. They offer a 4 year programme in road space design and management. It provides practical experience of designing, delivering and analysing schemes for London’s roads
You can expect to get involved in delivering world-class engineering solutions, using pioneering modelling software.
• Working on innovative traffic schemes to improve pedestrian access
• Helping to design highway schemes, with specialist engineering insight
• Making new advances at the forefront of cycle safety
• Using world leading systems for traffic control and signalling
• Modelling traffic using complex software, to predict what we need to do next
• Working at the heart of real-time signal control, providing traffic engineering support in the London Streets Traffic Control Centre
• Analysing and interpreting road network performance
• Designing and developing products to transform data into intelligence and business reports
Where does it lead?
Depending on what interests you and how you progress, the Programme could open doors to a range of different career paths. This could include Traffic Control Engineer, Traffic Analyst, GIS Officer, Business Intelligence Analyst, Design engineer.
• 3 A Levels at grade C or above, or an equivalent Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma
• The above qualifications should be in technical or numerate subjects or social sciences
• GCSEs in English Language and Mathematics, both at grade B or above